Print Mail Pdf

St Mary's Cathedral, Hobart

Archdiocese of Hobart

Hobart  +610362344463 

The Cathedral’s origins can be traced back to 1822 when the first permanent Tasmanian priest Fr Philip Conolly constructed a temporary wooden chapel near the present Cathedral site.

St Mary's is the vision of the first Bishop of Hobart, Robert William Willson, inspired by his friend Augustus Welby Pugin, designer of the entire interiors of the British Houses of Parliament and father of the modern English Gothic Revival movement.

Opened in 1866, the Cathedral was designed by William Wardell, one of Australia’s greatest nineteenth-century architects, and it was completed except for its spire between 1876 and 1898 to a modified design by Tasmania’s best known and most prolific architect, Henry Hunter.

The imposing pillars and stonework, exquisite stained glass and the magnificent pipe organ are works of leading artisans from Australia and overseas.

The baptismal font is of international significance. Studies have revealed that it is likely a font from the Norman period (1066-1200). The age and history of this font makes it one of the most important fonts in Australia. Research into its origins is continuing.

This outstanding Gothic building is presently undergoing significant restoration so that it may continue to play a central role in the Catholic Church of Tasmania and serve the city of Hobart and the people of Tasmania.

For more information visit:


164 Harrington Street, Hobart, Australia