Archdiocese of Seoul
Myeongdong Cathedral, situated in the heart of downtown Seoul, is both the Cathedral Church for the Archdiocese of Seoul and a symbol of the Catholic Church in Korea.
In 1784, the first Catholic community in Korea gathered in this place which was then known as Myeong-Nae-Bang.
The construction of the church began in 1894. On May 29, 1898, the Church was consecrated with Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception as its patron.
In 1900, the relics of the martyrsfrom the persecutions of 1839 and 1866 were moved from Yong-San seminary to Myeongdong Cathedral.
In 1942 the frist Korean parish priest, Fr. Rhee Ki-Jun, was appointed pastor of Myeongdong, and the first Korean Bishop Rho Ki-Nam was raised to the episcopate there.
On Liberation Day, 1945, the name of the Cathedral was changed from Chong-Hyen to Myeongdong.
In the 1970’s and 1980’s, Myeongdong Cathedral became a focal point for the democratic movement in Korea and has played an important role in the expansion of human rights.
Currently, Myeongdong Cathedral continues to reach out to the global community with prayer and missionary work. Myeongdong Cathedral is the first brick church in Korea built in the Gothic style. Designated historic spot No. 258, the Myeongdong Church has significant historical value embedded in its architecture.
74 Myeongdong-gil, Jung-gu, Seoul, Corea del Sud