Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Diocese of Melaka-Johor
The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is the Mother Church of the Melaka-Johor Diocese and is where the Chair of the Bishop is installed. The Cathedral was completed in 1982 and officially dedicated on the 19th of February by Bishop James Chan (now known as Bishop Emeritus James Chan), in the presence of Apostolic Delegate Archbishop Renato Martino and the Conference of Bishops for Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. Currently the Bishop of the Melaka-Johor Diocese is His Lordship, Rt. Rev. Paul Tan Chee Ing, S.J.
At present, it has a seating capacity for approximately 800 parishioners per mass compared to an estimated figure of 3500 parishioners attending the Cathedral. The Cathedral is located in Taman Sri Tebrau, in the center of Johor Bahru, the second largest city of Malaysia. The Cathedral itself is also situated in the heart of the most densely populated area in Johor Bahru, surrounded by housing estates such as Taman Sri Tebrau, Taman Pelangi, Century Garden, Melodies Garden, Taman Sentosa, Kebun Teh and Majidee Park.
1729, Jalan Keris, Taman Sri Tebrau, Johor Bahru, Malasia