St. Joseph's Cathedral
The neo-gothic St. Joseph’s church was built in 1886-87 according to the designs of the famous architect Pierre Cuypers, as parish church for a new expansion of the city.
The church has three naves and no transept, with a slender 76-meter high tower. This tower is crowned with a characteristic spire: a prefabricateD cast iron construction, at the time highly unusual in church Construction.
The interior is richly decorated, with the pentagonal apse’s high altar, featuring the twelve Apostles, drawing immediate attention.
The furnishings were made possible through donations from parishioners, and take the form of various altars, statues and stained glass windows, as well as the decorations in the sanctuary.
The monumental main organ was built bij Maarschalkerweerd in 1905.
The church was consecrated on 25 May 1887 by the archbishop of Utrecht, Msgr. P.M. Snickers.
Upon the establishment of the new Diocese of Groningen in 1956, the church of St. Martin became the cathedral. This church was torn down in 1981, after which St. Joseph’s was elevated as cathedral church.
Radesingel 2, Groningen, Netherlands