Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption
Diocese of Covington
Ground was broken on April 13, 1894, and construction of the cathedral began in mid-July. On September 8, 1895, Bishop Maes placed the cornerstone in the presence of thousands of people who came to witness the auspicious occasion. The vaults, columns, and walls of the nave, transept, and apse were complete by September of 1897 and plans were made to construct a steel roof over the Cathedral.
In January of 1901 the nave, apse, and transept were completed. Bishop Maes dedicated the cathedral for use on January 27, 1901. Specifications for the building of the facade were not completed until 1908 (once sufficient funds had been raised). Construction began in 1908 and was completed, along with the stained glass window installation, in 1910. Instead of additional external adornment, Bishop Maes instituted a program of interior beautification, most of which Bishop Brossart completed after the death of Bishop Maes in 1915.
Pope Pius XII elevated St. Mary's Cathedral to the rank of minor basilica on December 8, 1953, during a Solemn Pontifical High Mass celebrated by the Most Reverend William T. Mulloy, D.D.
1101 Madison Avenue, Covington, United States of America